Monday, January 10, 2011

Homemade Hot Chocolate

8 cups milk (can use 2% but preferable whole)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups chopped chocolate

Chop chocolate into small pieces and place in a mixing bowl. Heat the milk over medium-low heat until it steams and is very hot to the touch. Add the sugar and the vanilla and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Turn of the heat and ladle about 1 cup of the milk out and pour it over the chocolate pieces. Let the chocolate melt slowly. Stir it with a whisk to get all the chocolate in contact with the milk. Continue adding milk and stirring until all the milk as been incorporated. Ladle into serving cups and top with whipped cream.

2 comments:

  1. I also like to top it with a little chili powder. It makes the taste explode more in your mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never thought of hot chocolate "exploding" in my mouth before. I guess I'm just not a chef. :) Seriously, though, this is the way to do hot chocolate. Maybe sometime I'll get brave enough to do the chili powder too. . .

    ReplyDelete